Ah the airport, land of Cinnabon for dinner, $8.00 water bottles and alcohol for breakfast. For whatever reason, we as a society throw out all seemingly “normal” behavior when it comes to flying. Airports bring out interesting quirks in people that you don’t typically see in everyday life. Just because you are traveling doesn’t meant you can’t eat great food. Here are Six Ideas For Eating Healthy While Traveling.
Four years ago leading up to our wedding, Brian and I decided to try eating a strictly Paleo diet. Paleo has some straight forward rules such as; No dairy, no grains, no legumes and no alcohol. (You can read all about Paleo here) Modifying recipes at home is one thing, but during that time we were flying every other weekend. Finding food we could eat became a real issue since not many airports have healthy food options. Other times I end up running late and don’t have enough time to grab food before boarding. After giving up Paleo and having several years of no specific diet, we are now doing a full time Whole 30. Now when I fly I come way more prepared now with snacks. All of these tips can be Whole 30 Approved if you’d like them to be.
Don’t get stuck in a middle seat feeling hangry for five hours flying coast to coast. Here my are my Six Ideas For Eating Healthy While Traveling
- Oh Lara Bars, how I love thee? Let me count thy ways. But seriously, I do not leave the house without a Lara Bar. Airport? In the bag. Running to grocery store? Definitely. Headed to dinner? It’s my pre-game. (jk but not jk?)
Why I love these bars? Lara Bars have super clean ingredients and list clearly on the label what they are made of. No added sugars except from what is found in the fruits they put in the bars. They are packed full of things like almonds and cashews so you know you are getting some protein. Many of Lara Bar flavors are Whole 30 Approved. I swear by these. I highly recommend the Pecan Pie, Key Lime Pie and Cinnamon Roll flavors. You can get yours here
- A Close runner up that is a personal favorite of Brian’s are RX Bars. Another great on the go option. His favorite flavor is Chocolate Sea Salt.
Idea 2: Swell Bottle
- This nearly goes without saying, but flying makes you dehydrated like crazy. Since the air on planes is typically lacking in humidity, it leads to us having dry skin, chapped lips and makes us more receptive to getting sick from others. (You can read about that here) A great way to combat this is drinking more water than you think you should. Airports typically have filtered water bottle refill stations near restrooms, so pack your favorite reusable bottle and drink up.
My travel water bottle of choice is by Swell Bottle. Swell makes so many different stylish options so you can find one you love and they keep your beverages cold for 24 hours. This cute pink one is on sale for $25, which is a about $10 less than they usually are. Grab it while you can!
Idea 3: Fruits and Vegetables
- It may seem simple but I rarely see other passengers bring fresh fruit /veggies for a snack. This is a great way to prevent fruits from going bad while you are away. Some favorites for traveling for me are pineapple, clementines, cherries, carrot sticks and broccoli with some sort of dip like guacamole or hummus. I am not always in the mood for healthy snacks to be honest. But when I come prepared I am much less likely to fall into temptation of some of the foods in the airport. Because we all know passing by Sbarro Pizza is a true test of will power. (*Tells myself, I will love vegetables. I will love vegetables*)
- Meet Stasher Bags, a new found obsession that I am not sure how I lived without before I had them. Stasher Bags are a silicone reusable storage bag meant to replace your single use zip loc bags forever. I love them because they are entirely leak proof. They come in 3 sizes and really cute colors, and are dishwasher safe. These are a versatile item to add to your travel utility belt. Stasher bags are perfect for those fruits and veggies I mentioned. But you can get creative and use them for so many things. Get. These. Now.
- Forget paying hefty airport prices at Starbucks for a questionable protein box. Make your own! I love to do this on travel days when I know I am going to be without food. Get creative and pick out snacks you like, but some of my favorites are; Mixed nuts like almonds, cashews etc. Salami or deli turkey, hard boiled eggs or apple slices with almond butter. You can pack these in a divided container in in case there is something you need to keep separated, like these ones by Sistema. I love these because they are compact and keep snacks separate from each other. Here is a 3 pack for under $12.
Something I realized lately is many people don’t know you can bring food from home to fly with. As long as it isn’t a liquid (soup, yogurt etc.) you can have a healthy homemade meal. Make your seat mate jealous while they eat their sad soggy sandwich.
- The last thing I am going to tell you about are these clever silicone popup food containers by Smart Planet. I absolutely love the design of these and find them really useful to pack leftovers. I like that the individual spaces are portioned out and there is even a built in fork, Once you’re done it collapses and can store easily in your bag. What is awesome about this is you can get really creative with what you’re going to eat on the plane. At $9.99 this is a steal, I definitely recommend grabbing one of these.
The best advice for eating healthy while traveling is to come prepared. It will save you money and feeling bloated from eating high carb airport food. At the same time, just do the best you can and make smart meal decisions. Flying is hard on your body so giving it the fuel it needs only helps your trip go smoother.
I hope you enjoyed my Six Ideas for Eating Healthy While Traveling. And if you missed last week’s post about problems while flying, check that out here.
Do you have a favorite snack you like to bring with you when you fly? Let me know in the comments below.